THIRST works to keep independent restaurants and hospitality from going under by advocating that elected officials ensure insurance carriers provide the protection you paid for.
• Small bars and restaurants risk going out of business during the
current pandemic and resulting economic crisis
• Many do not have enough cash reserves to ride out the crisis and
are forced to rely on government aid despite paying for business
interruption insurance policies
• Insurers are denying claims saying that COVID doesn’t meet the
definition. The insurers are denying claims on (a) no property damage
and (b) exclusions for pandemics
• Insurance companies are sitting on $847B in reserves and believe all
claims paid would cost $380B (Insurance Information Institute)
• Insurance companies are regulated on a state level, so the best route
is to lobby State legislators to introduce or support existing bills.
• There are currently bills in California, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan,
New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and South
• There is a general lack of awareness of this issue among both the
industry and the greater public
• Together we can advocate for our legislators to take action to
support payment of your claims and your community’s claims
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
To sign up and show your support when we go to take on the insurance companies, go to thirstgroup.org/getinvolved and fill out the form. You do NOT need to be employed by a company that’s had to temporarily shutdown due to COVID-19. Your contact info will NOT be shared and no further action will be required after signing up. If you’d like to become a community organizer, just check the box stating “I’d like to join THIRST as a community organizer” when you go to sign up. It’s a very minimal time requirement and can be done entirely from home!
Phoenix, AZ, USA